Issaquah History Museums

Bellevue Hotel

Looking back: Bellevue Hotel

Published June 24, 1988

Published in the Issaquah Press on June 24, 1988

LookBack6-24-98BThousands drive by the intersection of Front Street and Sunset Way each day, giving the downtown intersection (below) a thoroughly modern, busy feel despite nearby architecture from the old days. However, the corner has been a busy place for more than 100 years. Thomas and Mary Francis build the Bellevue Hotel on the southeast corner of this intersection, completing construction in May 1888. A very early picture of the structure (above) shows the two-story hotel with board sidewalks on the north and west side, a small one-story addition to the east side and a one-story addition to the rear of the structure. A dining room is located in the back of the hotel, with an entrance on the west side. Even in Squak, Washington Territory, in 1888, the local residents had an eye for nature. Note the small tree that had been planted in front of the hotel, protected by a board frame”

Bellevue Hotel

The Bellevue hotel was completed in May 1888. [IHM photo]