Lawrence and Lulu Smart owned this house from 1914, the year he built it, until the family fell on hard times during the Depression. Lawrence worked at the local milk canning plant, then called Alpine Creamery, now Darigold.
In 1916, when Lulu got sick the couple moved in with parents on the Anderson Farm where Lake Sammamish State Park is now located. The Smart house was then rented to Leonard and Mary Miles, who ran the Red and White Grocery on Sunset Way.
Later, the Smarts returned to the house only to leave again in 1927 when Lawrence inherited a farm in Fall City. The house was rented out until lost in foreclosure.
In 1933, the new owner was Hugo Johnson, a mechanic for the Issaquah school buses.