Issaquah History Museums

Tibbetts Hotel

Looking back: Tibbetts Hotel and Store

Published June 23, 1999

Published in the Issaquah Press on June 23, 1999

Tibbetts Hotel

George W. Tibbetts was one of Issaquah’s earliest entrepreneurs. In addition to his hotel and store, he also became involved in farming hops and running a stage line, as well as in local and state government. The hotel shown here was built in 1884 and burned to the ground in July 1900. Living quarters and rooms to rent were upstairs. [IHM photo 92-24-6, p13, #11 Arcadia book caption]

With the recent completion of the second Issaquah Park-n-Ride lot along State Route 900 just south of Interstate 90, now is a good time to examine the history of that area. It previously was known as Goode’s Corner. This photo shows George W. Tibbetts Hotel and Store, which was built in 1884 and served as the local stage stop and overnight resting place. It was a popular locale until it was destroyed by fire in July 1900.