Continuing our look back at area bridges, this week we show (at left) a “new” one from 1910 that provided access to coal company homes on what is now the 300 block of Mine Hill Road Southwest. The bridge was built across Issaquah Creek near where the new foot bridge crosses the creek at the fish hatchery. The bridge was destroyed by a flood in February 1932. In 1921, the Town of Issaquah acquired the property on both sides of the creek adjoining the bridge and named it City Park. It is now the fish hatchery and Gibson Hall properties.
Published in the Issaquah Press on April 12, 2000
In this photograph from 1910, the Issaquah High Trestle is shown at the end of what is now Sunset Way as it enters the on-ramp to Interstate 90. The home on the left has been remodeled and expanded, but is still standing at 760 E Sunset Way. As construction begins on the new Sunset Interchange, the house will be removed. The trestle, built in 1888, was torn down in 1975 to make way for I-90.
Published in the Issaquah Press on April 19, 2000
Moving stacks of long, heavy logs was no easy feat in the early logging days. In the next several installments of Looking Back, we’ll take a look at some of the locomotives and techniques used to move the area’s prime resource. In this Kinsey photo, taken in the mid 1920’s, the High Point Mill Co.’s Climax locomotive cruises around the north face of Tiger Mountain. The engine is pulling two of the four skeleton log cars built in Renton by the Pacific Car & Foundry Co.
Published in the Issaquah Press on May 17, 2000
Published in the Issaquah Press on May 24, 2000
This Kinsey photo of the High Point Mill Co. logging crew on the north face of Tiger Mountain shows several interesting features. On the left is a donkey with a boomerang spark arrestor (the curved pipe extending from the top of the smoke stack to the ground). Also, the locomotive in the middle of the photograph has not been identified as belonging to High Point. Records showed they only owned the Climax shown in last week’s “Looking Back.” Perhaps the High Point company borrowed this one from the Preston Mill Co. about 1924, when Preston’s inventory of engines showed two instead of the three that it owned.
Published in the Issaquah Press on May 31, 2000
This week we continue our reflection on the old locomotives that powered the area’s early logging industry. In this shot, the High Point Mill Co.’s Climax locomotive approaches the photographer on the north face of Tiger Mountain. On the left next to the spar tree is a steam loading donkey engine. To the right of the locomotive is a steam yarding donkey engine.
In this Clark Kinsey photo from the mid 1920’s. the High Point Mill Co.’s logging crew is shown taking a break while posing with their Climax Locomotive. This photo is among those featured in the Mill Street logging scene mural on East Sunset Way at First Avenue Southeast in downtown Issaquah.
Published in the Issaquah Press on June 7, 2000
Representatives of the Preston Mill Co. pose with their Climax locomotive, which was purchased from the Doty Lumber and Shingle Co. in Doty, Wash. Elof Edwins, part owner of the Preston Mill Co., is shown standing closest to the No. 1 on the newly repainted locomotive in this 1921 photo. The mill’s railroad will be extended several miles up the Raging River valley until it shuts down in 1930.
Published in the Issaquah Press on June 28, 2000
Published in the Issaquah Press on July 5, 2000
The Press continues its series of locomotives from the past in this photograph from the 1920’s. Shown is the Preston Mill Co.’s fourth locomotive, a used Lima Shay here at Upper Preston. It is the second engine with the number 1 on the cab belonging to Preston Mill Co.
In a glimpse from a scene in the 1920’s, the Preston Mill Company’s Upper Preston Sawmill is at the center of the photograph. To the right, at the top of the hill is the cookhouse. Climax Locomotive # 2 is shown at left in the rear. The mill pond in the foreground is full of logs.
Published in the Issaquah Press on July 19, 2000
The Press continues its look back at Issaquah’s logging-days roots. In this photograph dated from 1916-1917, Peter Erickson can be seen on the left standing next to the Preston Mill Co’s logging boss James Matson. Both men are part of the crew logging along Raging River above Upper Preston. The steam donkey is from the Road Engine family used to pull logs long distances.
Published in the Issaquah Press on July 26, 2000
CONNECT WITH US
MUSEUM HOURS & LOCATION
Gilman Town Hall
165 SE Andrews Street
Issaquah Depot Museum
78 First Avenue NE
Issaquah Valley Trolley
78 First Avenue NE