The next few installments of Looking Back will focus on celebrations. This photo shows the Gilman Band, which has gathered on the Fourth of July in 1893, just one year after the founding of the Town of Gilman (now Issaquah). Among the items of interest in this photograph are the large Western Red Cedar tree in the background, the hand split cedar fence to the right and the boardwalk in the right foreground. It is clear that, at the time, huge cedar trees were in abundance. Independence Day was a popular holiday for celebrating in the late 1890’s, much as it is today. The Declaration of Independence was signed on July 4, 1776, and the first Independence Day celebration was 1777. Of the original 13 colonies, nine voted for the Declaration, two voted against it and one was undecided and one abstained.
Published in the Issaquah Press on December 8, 1999
Published in the Issaquah Press on December 22, 1999
Our look at past celebrations continues with Independence Day in 1910. No float that year was as well represented as that of the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union. Each of the children on the float wore a banner with the name of a state on it. The Temperance Union was founded December 22, 1873, in Fredonia, N.Y., out of concern for the damaging effects of alcohol. The organization is the oldest non-sectarian women’s group in the world, and is still in existence today. In front of the wagon is Martha Wood, current Issaquah resident Walt Seil’s grandmother. Two more faces, the girls kneeling in the back row, centered between the two girls standing in white, are recognizable. The one on the left is Josephine Wood, Seil’s mother, and the one on the right is Mabel Miles.
Our continuous look at past celebrations take us this week to Issaquah’s first Labor Day Parade. In this Sept. 1, 1924 photograph, the Labor Day Rodeo cowboys lead the march south on Front Street. Following is a band led by William Harris, visible just to the right of the band, in a suit, holding a book. The Issaquah Cafe on the left is where the new library is under construction. The railroad tracks in the foreground led from the depot to the coal mines behind the fish hatchery. Also of note is the white drinking fountain located next to the telephone pole on the right corner.
Published in the Issaquah Press on January 5, 2000
Published in the Issaquah Press on January 12, 2000
As we move forward into a new millennium, we continue to look back at past celebrations. This week’s photo is of Issaquah’s Labor Day royalty in a Nash convertible, circa 1940. From left is June Lindsay, Labor Day Queen Carman Scamfer, Marjorie Darst, Anne Kochevar, and an unidentified gentleman. In 1924, Issaquah changed its major celebration from the Fourth of July to Labor Day weekend and called it Issaquah Roundup. The first Labor Day parade was in New York City on Sept, 5, 1882. In 1894, the federal government made it a holiday for federal employees to honor the “American working man.”
The Press concludes its review of Issaquah Celebrations with this week’s photograph of the float built by Gilman Rebekah Lodge No. 59 for a Labor Day parade in the early 1950s. Riding on the float are (from the left) Velma Chevalier, an unidentified woman, Ann Anderson, Joan Karvia and Ethel Clark. The children are unidentified. The float is decorated with flowers and tree boughs, typical of parade floats of that time.
Published in the Issaquah Press on January 19, 2000
This week, we conclude our look at past celebrations by noting that not all of them involving people occurred here. This group of residents was on a 1916 outing to Steele Lake, which is now in what is known as Federal Way. The truck’s banner indicates that they are representing the Grange Mercantile Association. Appearing in the photograph are (from left) William Pickering, Hazel Bush, and unidentified man, Orpha Lyne, Elmer Becker, Roy Pickering, Del Darst, Pete Erickson, two unidentified men, Art Tibbetts, Floyd Bush, Gladys Peterson, and Agnes Bush.
Published in the Issaquah Press on January 26, 2000
The Issaquah Volunteer Fire Department Hall once was one of the community’s most important gathering places. Located where the current library building is now, the hall was a site of numerous Saturday night dances and its basement served as an indoor gun range. The structure was built in 1933 of lumber donated by the Wood and Iverson Mill in Hobart. The lumber was something of a reward to the fire department which had fought a big fire at the mill that torched everything before firefighters could control it—–except the lumber supply. The building was torn down in the 1960’s.
Published in the Issaquah Press on February 2, 2000
During the next few weeks, we’ll explore the Barlow Farm that was located near the southern tip of Lake Sammamish many years ago. This photo, looking north, shows the Barlow house between 1910 and 1920. Some interesting points in the photo are the old wagon trail to Factoria in the foreground at the far right (now the path of Interstate 90 ), the stand of trees on the point in the background (now the South Cove neighborhood), and the children’s swing in the front yard of the house.)
Published in the Issaquah Press on February 9, 2000
In this early 1900’s photograph, John Barlow and Alfred Kerola are standing on spring boards, as they start the undercut in preparation for felling this large Western red cedar tree with a crosscut felling saw and axes. The location of the tree is unknown, but it is possible it was on the Barlow farm grounds.
Published in the Issaquah Press on February 16, 2000
The Barlow dairy farm and farmhouse was formerly located on what is now the south side of I-90 going up the hill westbound toward Eastgate in Bellevue. This photograph most likely dates before 1920, as the paved Newport Way, which is now in the area behind the former farmhouse, is not there. Construction of U.S. 10 in the late 1930’s cut the farm property in half. A hand-piled hay stack is located in the right corner of the photo next to the split rail fence.
Published in the Issaquah Press on February 23, 2000
CONNECT WITH US
MUSEUM HOURS & LOCATION
Gilman Town Hall
165 SE Andrews Street
Issaquah Depot Museum
78 First Avenue NE
Issaquah Valley Trolley
78 First Avenue NE